Hi! My name is Ms. Moore. Please join me while I travel to New Orleans to study Climate Change and Caterpillars!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Some Answers to Your Intelligent Questions


It was great to see you all during our video conference today. You asked some very interesting and thought-provoking questions.



Here are a few answers. I will also have more to show you when I am back at school next week.


  • What have we seen other than caterpillars?
  • a cypress swamp - the one in the picture
  • great white egrets
  • ibises
  • pelicans
  • red-Eared Sliders - the biggest I have ever seen in the wild!
  • the armor plate of a dead armadillo - see the picture above
  • stick bugs - various sizes
  • spiders - lots and lots!
  • wild hog scat
  • deer scat
  • bumble bees - again very large ones - I think things just grow bigger in the swamplands.
  • mosquitoes - lots and lots!
  • chiggers - Well these are too little to really see, but we sure do feel them!
  • parisitoids that erupted from the stomach of a caterpillar (very gross but also quite cool)
  • a skink - a much smaller variety than our friend Tile
  • frogs - very tiny ones
  • southeastern lubber - the biggest grasshopper I have ever seen!
  • many songbirds
  • fire ants
  • lots of moths and butterflies (different sizes and colors)

  • AND THE OTHER GROUP SAW AN ALLIGATOR WHILE I WAS BACK AT THE FIELD STATION ENTERING DATA INTO THE COMPUTER!!!!!!! I AM STILL HOPEFUL, BUT I ONLY HAVE 2 MORE DAYS TO FIND ONE.

There are many fascinating creatures here. Mrs. Nelson told me that some of the groups will be finished with your biome travel commercial scripts soon. When you are finished please choose some of the wetland or swampland creatures to research. Perhaps you could make a Power Point presentation of what you find out about these creatures to share with me when I get back. For example, you could find out about the songbirds of Louisiana or the invertebrates (insects) or snakes of the south. Maybe you can even find some fun music or bird songs etc. to add to your slide show.

































Labels:

5 Comments:

At October 29, 2009 at 9:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

From a First Grade Class!

We have reviewed your blog and brainstormed the following questions about your research.

1.Have you seen any snakes, lizards, or frogs?

2.What is the swamp like where you are searching for the caterpillars?

3.Have you seen any of the caterpillars turn into butterflies on your search?

We look forward to reading your answers.

Enjoy!

 
At October 29, 2009 at 1:27 PM , Anonymous JIP said...

tomorrows the halloween party feel free to laugh at my costume arians the m&m and a video conference. plz post julias two comments about the party. (she really wants u to)

 
At October 29, 2009 at 1:27 PM , Anonymous N.M.D.97 said...

sorry I wasn't at the video confrence Mrs. Moore I was sick :(

 
At October 29, 2009 at 9:15 PM , Anonymous Mrs. Moore said...

Hello first grade class! I am so glad you are reading about the scientists and teachers in the bayou. Here are the answers to your questions.

1.I have seen several types of lizards including skinks, a gecko, and some very cute tree frogs. I have not seen any snakes which is surprising, but we have been trying to make noise to scare them away. There are several poisonous snakes in this area such as water mocassins and copperheads, and perhaps rattlesnakes.

2. Today we really got into the swamp. It was a good thing we had boots because it was like walking through giant muddy mudpuddles. It was squishy! There were also a lot of mosquitoes. There are hundreds of plants and beautiful trees. It is very green.

3. So far none of the caterpillars have turned into butterflies or moths, but we have seen many different types of butterflies and moths in the forests and swamps.

 
At October 29, 2009 at 9:18 PM , Anonymous Mrs. Moore said...

Fifth and sixth graders. I hope I get to see you in your costumes. I feel that I have contributed to important work here, but I am sorry to be missing Halloween. JIP, please tell JED that I will post her comments about the buffet tomorrow if she can use some tech lab time to proof and edit it. Perhaps you could work together on this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home